On 21st February next the Catholic Heritage Association will organise a pilgrimage to Bansha, Co. Tipperary, to honour the late Very Revd. John, Canon Hayes (1887-1957), founder of Muintir na Tíre. This will be the first occasion on which the Catholic Heritage Association has organised a Mass in the Archdiocese of Cashel and Emly.
This morning members and friends of St. Conleth's Catholic Heritage Association gathered at the Church of the Most Holy Trinity, Allen, County Kildare, for an Anniversary Mass in the Gregorian Rite for one of their founder members, Miss Gertrude Hyland. After Mass, some of the members went to Crosspatrick Grave Yard nearby to pray at her graveside, and then to Father Moore's Well, a shrine to a saintly Parish Priest of Allen.
The spire of Allen Church can be seen on the horizon, as can the hill of Allen, the palace of Fionn Mac Cumhail, the warrior chieftan of ancient Ireland. This parish was the hiding place of the Bishops of Kildare during the centuries of persecution. A history of the Parish can be found in Dr. Comerford's Collections.
Born: 8 May 1861, Received into the Catholic Church: 21 December 1896, Received into the Sodality of Our Lady: 22 December 1896, Entered Society of Jesus: 7 September 1900, Ordained Priest: 28 July 1900, Died 19 February 1933.